Scritch / Bitch

Scritch:
-The con was a success! Everyone pulled their resources together and made this furry campout happen. Thanks you guys!
-Staff busted their furry butts and I give my deepest thanks for it.
-Site was remote enough and away from civilization that humans were not an issue.
-Plenty of hiking and chipmunks to watch <3
-Swimming was possible tho it was cold!
-Booze was awesome with the Jello shots. Thanks CK for your efforts!
-Weather wasn’t as hot as I expected.
-Showers were simple to use and effective. (sorry for not refilling my shower bag)

Bitch:
-It wasn’t long enough. sniffles
-Map and activities were not posted and not enough tents to run them out of.
-More lighting in crucial areas suck as walkways and bathrooms
-Registration/info/RULES should be at the entrance next time

Aside from little bumps here and there I had fun. I wish I had more time to have met you all.

Next year will be epic fur sure. ^.^

I’ll be sure to bring my projector again.

I’ve got that under control, my good man. Waggles
Twitches

i was thinkin while i was layin in my bed feelin awkward because i love layin on the ground. these are just additions to my bitchins

we could have used a second generator (even if it was a smaller one, like bigger than foxrivers but smaller than the one used for the kitchen) for those of us who wanted to charge up their cellphones, mp3’s, or computers.

in the con book next year have more space for people to sign/doodle. i saw some of the congoer’s books and they were completely filled.

also, although this is more of a personal issue, make sure if we are going to have a section when you register asking if there was any special food needs, make sure you follow them. i put down that i needed the chicken to be extremely dry, or else my IBS would give me troubles. so unforchenatly the chicken was not cooked to my needs and i had to spend half an hour in the smelly bathroom dealing with the “consiquences” of the moist chicken.

This. As someone involved in running the events, a lot of difficulty came with letting people know what time things were going on. I’m thinking, perhaps we could get several obvious posts showing the days events, along with a clock (and light so you can see it at night), perhaps that would help keep people aware of the time.

I was thinking as well that we could have a sort of flag for the food distribution process. We could raise up different colored flags (and ring bells) whenever we enter a different phase of food providing (Regulars, Patrons, and Sponsers).

i kind of liked the lack of time i’d just divide it into meal time via bells

first lol ;D

Compliments issued in such a way as to bring feelings of scalp massage:
keeping your cool in the hard times
movie night
Mother nature (bugs at bay)

Complaints issued in such a way to insight the image of a female dog:
Heated water system- it may have been just me but tepid water chills (less than the river but still.)
communal nap space- i was looking forward to a cool space to rest and rejuvenate. (anyone who saw my tent knew it was less of such)
more cowbell - or some other meal time signal

(Imagine bennet with a cowbell, doing rounds when meals open up)

i didnt know there was a cuddle tent…so maybe more communication next time…i mean i did have an “unoffical” cuddle tent…people in my tent cluster knew if they wanted to they could have came in and cuddled anytime.

Scritch:

-The food was filling, delicious and considerably fancier than I would have expected from a large campout.

-The atmosphere almost always felt safe and non-judgmental. People were friendly and the staff seemed to have my back.

-Generally I felt welcome to come and go and wander around as I pleased. If I needed relative privacy, I had it.

-For the most part, I liked the chosen site. Being from western Oregon, it was definitely different but not too much of a shock to my system. We were in the high desert but there were enough trees and cool water around for it to not really feel like a desert. It was private and rural, but not too far from civilization.

-The staff did a pretty good job of informing us about what essentials we would need to bring.

-The theme.

-The emphasis on art, freedom, and creativity.

-The Happenings, both scheduled and spontaneous. Particularly Jewelry crafting; Win, Lose, or Draw; the Improv Comedy Workshop; hikes; art jams; and Movie Night.

-Those little illustrations that Bucky did for the con book are adorable.

Bitch:

-The delays on check-in, handing out swag, Opening Ceremonies, and especially Thursday night dinner were big bummers. But you knew that.

-The site was very dry and gritty, with dust and dirt being kicked up everywhere and getting into everything. Putting down some tarps at certain places and times might have helped. Especially at the Improv Workshop, when everyone seemed to be thrown to the ground at some point or another.

-Bennet did not humiliate me at Opening Ceremonies like he promised.

-At least one attendee (no, not me) was having serious allergy issues from the trees. It’d be a shame to lose anyone next year because of that.

-Having a few more large, permanent community tents would be great. Hosting the game room, open market, art jams, dances, meals, and various other happenings all in the same red tent got crowded and awkward at times.

-Coffee would be good. Coffee would be great. Even crappy coffee.

-Having a designated fursuit lounge, like someone said, would be great. As would semi-organized fursuit stuff like a mini-parade and/or photo shoot.

-No art coordinator around.

-The showers scared me. They weren’t fully functional as soon as I had hoped, they were too close to the action, and often were cold or nearly empty. I will admit to being one of those who didn’t refill and replace the shower bag, because I couldn’t reach it. In retrospect, I should’ve asked someone.

-The music wasn’t bad but I would have liked more variety as far as genre.

[quote=“12inchfallacy, post:15, topic:164”]Scritch: Only Zuul

Bitch: No Dana[/quote]

The power of Zuul compels me!

I’m too easy going to have anything to bitch at. Everything was great, I had an awesome time! Will definetly try to come again next year!

I know that patrons and sponsors get more/better food because they pay for it, but I don’t think they should be served first. I think people should eat when they’re hungry and their food is ready.

Also, for those complaining about time, personally, I try to forget about time when I’m on vacation.

[quote=“Maowing Fox, post:30, topic:164”]I know that patrons and sponsors get more/better food because they pay for it, but I don’t think they should be served first. I think people should eat when they’re hungry and their food is ready.

Also, for those complaining about time, personally, I try to forget about time when I’m on vacation.[/quote]

well the time “issue” for me was just that we need more warning of what time of day it is because i missed a lot of things that i wanted to do because there werent really any formal announcements. i mean for meals for example, the “offical” serving times were supposed to be 10am/2pm/6pm, but sometimes they were running late when i got there at those times, so i would go out and about to do whatever (draw, talk, take a quick nap(30 minutes or less)) and when i got back, either they were out of food or it was cool (i was a sponser). also like on the first day i wanted to do the “make your own ears” with demon, but i didnt know when it was starting, so when i got there i got there 45 minutes too late. so i think what people are saying about time is just have some sort of reminder of what time it is and clear communication of when things are starting and all

[quote=“Maowing Fox, post:30, topic:164”]I know that patrons and sponsors get more/better food because they pay for it, but I don’t think they should be served first. I think people should eat when they’re hungry and their food is ready.

Also, for those complaining about time, personally, I try to forget about time when I’m on vacation.[/quote]

I’m in agreement about the being served first thing, doesn’t seem completely right in my eyes to an extent, as there was enough food for everybody… and in abundance. Perhaps this could be toned down to sponsors/patrons get dibs on seconds as a compromise should people feel that it’s necessary that higher levels get access to more food.

I also think… not sure if it was the case or not though… that if there is 15-20G of chilli left for breakfast, everybody should get the option of helping to polish it off. Better eaten than left to spoil.

And, as for the time thing… you know they still make things that you can wrap around your wrist… or carry in your pocket… or hang from your neck… or … watches anybody? :wink: Personally, I don’t think it’s such a big expectation to bring your own time-keeping device that works without a source of electricity for more than 24 hours. ^.^

Ha. While camping, I tend to divide the day into the following time units: "morning (i.e. Coffee Time!), “noonish”, “afternoon”, “evening”, and “Party Time” the latter being anytime after dark.

Scritch: pretty much everything

Bitch: hmm… trying to think of something to bitch about. Fail.

Special MURRPURR: Zuul. <3

[quote=“Accophox, post:32, topic:164”][quote author=Maowing Fox link=topic=147.msg1323#msg1323 date=1281766363]
I know that patrons and sponsors get more/better food because they pay for it, but I don’t think they should be served first. I think people should eat when they’re hungry and their food is ready.

Also, for those complaining about time, personally, I try to forget about time when I’m on vacation.
[/quote]
And, as for the time thing… you know they still make things that you can wrap around your wrist… or carry in your pocket… or hang from your neck… or … watches anybody? :wink: Personally, I don’t think it’s such a big expectation to bring your own time-keeping device that works without a source of electricity for more than 24 hours. ^.^[/quote]

well i did have a cell phone but after the first two days the battery ran out…and i cant wear watches due to my carpoltunel (spling?). plus watches dont tell you when things are running late or not…ie showing up at 10am for breakfast only to find out they say be back in 30 minutes and you get there at 1030 and it is either gone, cold, or minimal left

Okay, let’s work down this list, item by item on things we have more control over!

Kitchen Problems: Too much time to serve too many people, too much time for food prep, chow lines too long, poor announcing system
Solution: More kitchen staff, two kitchens for early prep, announcing system, and different serving methods. One chef and one sous chef for each meal service with two volunteers. Spread out time for prep by operating two kitchens, giving one team time for cleanup, and the other time for prep. Next, we incorporate our food service with our camp counselor structure(see below) and serve our meals family style, where ‘camps’ on the campground get their food all at once. Finally, we incorporate meal announcements into a dinnerbell and radio announcement, telling people to return to their camps, and an announcement on our shortwave radio system.

Raging Dogs: Ugh
Solution: Beyond the parks rules on dogs, we introduce our own with a zero-tolerance policy. No one dog is to be left unattended for any reason or under any circumstance, including showers and bathrooms. Each animal a person owns must have it’s own crate for holding at night, and for every dog that comes, the owner must list one emergency handler per dog, should the owner have to leave his/her dogs behind. If you cannot provide a crate and an emergency handler for each dog, your dogs need to stay at home. In the event of unattended animals, staff will try to contact the pet owners or handlers for 30 minutes. If the pet owners or handlers are unreachable, animal control will be contacted. Every violation will result in ejection from event grounds and a two year probation on said person’s privilege to bring their animals to Campfire Tails.

Fursuiting Lounge: Nowhere for suiters to go headless, do suit repairs and have an emergency cooldown.
Solution: Encourage attendees to form a fursuit lounge Happening and take donations of materials to put together a dedicated fursuiting tent with cooling fans, seating for repairs and privacy.

Visibility: Can’t see shit at night. We had tealights and mason jars, but at the last minute the ranger station said ‘hell no’ and left us in the dark.
Solution: Solar-charged strings of LEDs around specific landmarks, corners and obstacles. Relocate Floodlights around food prep areas and commons.

Handwash Stations: No soap! Not enough water jugs! No paper towels!
Solution: Put up a sign explaining that the water jug contains foodsafe hand sanitizer. :stuck_out_tongue:

More trashcans: Not enough trashcans
Solution: Moar trashcans :3

Lost and Found: Where I found lost?
Solution: Addendum to conbook: If you find something that doesn’t belong or lost something, come to con ops.

Issues with Public Safety, First Aid, Announcement, Info, Availability of staff etc: Consolidation?
Solution: Camp Counselors. Sites B and C have four close but distinctly seperate locations for tent building. Each cluster will form a ‘concourse’ that we’ll assign a counselor. A counselor is someone who eats with, sleeps with, plays with and feeds your respective campsite you’re assigned to. They take your dietary preferences into consideration when giving orders to the kitchen, provide first aid when needed, lead group hikes and swimming outings, coordinate activities and establish a buddy
system for Happenings, provides info about activities and policies, and ensures the safety and well-being of their respective campsite. Meals are given to counselors to serve to their tribe family style. We hope to have one counselor per tribe, and each campsite no larger than 20 people each. (with expansion into Site B) for additional campsite.

More tents: Event space is limited what is this I don’t even
Solution: Hire Clever Fox Construction to build us 4 30x30 pavilions in a row for an additional 3600 square feet of event space.

Communication: Who/What/Where/When
Solution: Two solutions to work in tandem. Throughout the campground in each ‘tribe’ and in the Sandbox we’ll have an information kiosk including an expanded schedule of events, staff announcements and a space for attendees to leave their own mark. For general ‘on the fly’ announcements, wiring a campwide PA system isn’t financially solvent. A solution would be to
bring a shortwave radio and operate a short range(quarter mile or less) radio station broadcasting music campwide with live/critical announcements able to be broadcast. We’ll provide one or two battery-powered radios to each campsite counselor, but will highly encourage campers to bring their own personal radios with them.

Coffee: coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee
Solution:… Tea? <_< OKAY FINE COFFEE. We’ll keep our eyes open for banquet coffeemakers at used restaurant suppliers for on-demand coffee and hot water. XD

Volunteers: Volunteer organizing went pear-shaped and nobody was happy. Oops. <_<
Solution: A volunteer organizer! We have one now <3

Lack of naturey stuff: Survival lessons, stargazing, night hikes, hikes in general, etc.
Solution: Events are attendee-driven! Organize something, ya bums! <3

Outhouse Horror: Oh god the smell!
Solution: A 50/50 mixture of powdered lime and campfire ash added by general land cleanup each day, paired with battery-powered oust air sanitizers should eliminate most, if not all smells next year.

No Dana: Only Zuul
Solution: Cross the Streams

Dust: Dust
Solution: Put down tarps on the floors in Happenings Tents in the Sandbox

Shower Bags: empty/cold often
Solution: Post a list of instructions for the use of the bags. Given an hour in the sun they can get quite warm from personal experience! When someone uses a bag to shower, they need to refill it to get it ready for the next person to shower. If someone is too short/not strong enough to hang a bag, our gopher can be made available to assist!

Cellphone charging station: How I charged phone?
Solution: Forthcoming, but added to the list of things to address for next year!

Conbook signage Space: Not enough!
Solution: More…signage space! XD

Conbooks/schwag/Check-in: Got out to the attendees late
Solution: Sorry! We’ll be ready a lot sooner! I promise!

Fursuit events: None
Solution: If you want a fursuit event, try and make a Happening for it next year!

General Timeliness and Information conveyance: Oops
Solution: Time, experience and improved communications! We’ll get it right!

Granted, many of these roles and solutions would need some hammering out, especially in terms of staff backup/redundancy, but thus far, what do you guys think?

i look forward to more dana next year, though zuul was a hoot.

though i’m not sure about making the fursuit lounge a happening, what with heat being an issue all the time, unless the lounge is done during the ‘dead due to heat’ time. but i would at least suggest encouraging suiters to bring their own cool down equipment.

also? more murrpiles. i can’t recall a single murrpile. I TOUGHT THIS WAS A FURRY CON GOD.

More like a demi-god, really.

pff it’s not even that without murrpiles. >:(

[quote=“BlackWolf, post:36, topic:164”]i look forward to more dana next year, though zuul was a hoot.

though i’m not sure about making the fursuit lounge a happening, what with heat being an issue all the time, unless the lounge is done during the ‘dead due to heat’ time. but i would at least suggest encouraging suiters to bring their own cool down equipment.

also? more murrpiles. i can’t recall a single murrpile. I TOUGHT THIS WAS A FURRY CON GOD.[/quote]

okay i guess i must be one of the people “outside of the circle” because i STILL have no idea who (or what) dana and zuul are.

and as far as the fursuiter tent/lounge, i just was suggesting having a tent about the size of the booze tent (maybe a bit smaller) with 5 folding chairs in there so that way fursuiters could suit up/suit down. some of us either didnt have a tent (like dexter) or had small tents were we couldnt suit up in (like me). could also have a small table in there with some thread and needles and all to make quick repairslooks over to foxrivers,scritch and dexter for possible “how to repair/make your own suit classes” as a possible happing" also could have like super long straws (have a donation jar to compinsate for the cost) and one of the water coolers in there too. i dont really think the lounge has to be a “happening”, just kinda be like the booze tent…it just has to “be there”. the only happening that i would suggest for the tent would be having f.rivers, dex, and scritch giving a fursuit making class or advice to make your own suits.

oh okay one last and final “bitch” for me…:

Vampyress Helena Diamond/Sam/my fiancee wasnt there…