Information for ham radio operators

Moka (KR1TTR) will be setting up a cross-band repeater. Settings:
Repeater output (listen on) 147.250 MHz, CTCSS tone 123.0 Hz.
Repeater input (transmit on) 446.450 MHz, CTCSS tone 123.0 Hz.
For simplex, please use:
147.250 MHz, CTCSS tone 123.0 Hz.

Who are the ham radio operators in attendance? Reply to the roll call, and I’ll edit this post to maintain a list of people and callsigns.
@tyco: KS7INK
@Groggy: KK9FOX
@WoofyTheBunny: K9BUN
@smash: WO1FIE
@reveille: KK6REV
@Morse: KE7EQO
@CharmHusky: WI6GLE
@Moka: KR1TTR

I did a little research and found repeaters near LaPine. Some of the information I found conflicts, and some may be inaccurate, but here is what I found, listed in order of how likely they are to work:
Mt. Bachelor, K7ZM, 145.450 MHz, negative offset, CTCSS tone 103.5 Hz.
La Pine, W6VIP: 145.470 MHz, negative offset, CTCSS tone 162.2 or maybe 103.5 Hz.
La Pine, WA7TYD: 145.490 MHz, negative offset, CTCSS tone 162.5 Hz.
La Pine, K7ZM: 146.960 MHz, negative offset, CTCSS tone 100 Hz.
La Pine, (unknown): 147.140 MHz, positive? offset, CTCSS tone 100 Hz.
Sun River, WA7TYD: 146.640 MHz, negative offset, CTCSS tone 162.5 Hz.
Bend, K7ZM: 145.450 MHz, negative offset, CTCSS tone 103.5 Hz.
Bend, (unknown): 146.940 MHz, negative offset, no tone
Bend, K7RPT: 147.040 MHz, positive offset, no tone
Bend, (unknown): 147.060 MHz, positive offset, no tone
Bend, KB7LNR: 147.360 MHz, positive offset, no tone

How would y’all feel about hosting a little workshop on those curious about becoming an operator and how the gear works? I would be way down to check that out.

1 Like

I would be interested in learning more. :3~

Uh, sure! I can probably do that on one of the afternoons. Not sure which day though. I definitely want to do the hot spring excursion, whenever that’s being planned. If it’s even being solidly planned yet.

People are allowed to use the radio as guests, as long as a licensed operator is present. So people can even try them out.

Sunday seems free, but as usual, our schedule is always subject to change! So whenever you want, really. :3

Charm (W16GLE) and I (KR1TTR) will be there!

I’ll also be setting up a cross-band repeater, assuming my solar cells + battery can keep it up and running.

I’ll set it to output to whatever frequency we decide on here. If you want to use it, set your radio to TX on 446.450 Mhz (PL 123.0), and RX on 147.250 (PL 123.0). This gives you extra range for free, but requires that your radio is capable of split-band operation.

The good news is it’s completely backwards compatible with all the folks who aren’t using the repeater, so if you’ve got a single-band radio, can’t do split-band operation, or the repeater is down (gasp!) just run simplex on 147.250 MHz (PL 123.0) and it’ll all just work. :sunglasses:

Next year, I’ll see if I can piece together a traditional single-band repeater for you folks.

Also worth noting: Technically 147.250 is part of the “repeater outputs” section of the band plan (details: National, Oregon). Following the band plan is “voluntary”, but usually good practice. I’d normally recommend either 146.40-146.58, or 147.42-147.57 for this. But if you’ve checked the repeater coordination for the area, it’s probably fine. I’ll use whatever the consensus here is.

I didn’t actually contact a repeater coordinator, but unless I’m misreading the data, that frequency I originally proposed for simplex does not seem to be in use by any repeater in the area. I deliberately chose a repeater output rather than simplex because most usage is going to be with low-power handhelds that aren’t going to reach more than a mile or two.

Sounds good to me. :smile:

Will there be another repeater set up this year?

Will there be another repeater set up this year? (2016)

Good question! I’ve been wondering that myself, and I own the repeater. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I haven’t had time yet to fix the some of the issues with it from last year, so the reliability isn’t quite where I want it to be. But I can bring it with me, and if there’s demand I can try to get it going again with the same configuration.

For now, let’s assume simplex on the same frequency (147.250 MHz, PL 123.0), and we’ll play it by ear once we get to camp.

KE7GAL checking in, although, my licence is expired, so… I keep forgetting to renew.

For posterity… I ended up keeping the repeater boxed up this year.

Most folks brought 4W or 5W handhelds with upgraded antennas. VHF coverage was excellent, with strong reception (S9) from the center of camp out to the main gate and waterfall. Coverage would drop a bit (S5-7) further up-trail at the second waterfall, but was still intelligible.

There was effectively no coverage once you reached pavement, and it definitely wouldn’t have reached Paulina Lake. But we are within range of several area repeaters, so that might be a good backup for infrequent uses like this.

Using a rubber-duck style antenna was considerably worse. S5 from center camp to the waterfall, though still usable within camp.

The takeaway here: Upgrade your antenna. (More on that below.)

In the future, if we don’t use a repeater, it would probably be a good idea to pick a frequency within the simplex range of the band plan. :sweat_smile: Not that we had any interference (in fact, we didn’t even need a PL tone this year), but if nothing else it would let the fancy radios auto-configure themselves properly.

Also, a few spots in camp could actually pick up NOAA WX radio broadcasts via HT this year, which was useful when the clouds looked scary. It was very much location dependent, and didn’t work by the end of camp. Just an interesting observation.

More on antennas this year…

The Nagoya NA-771 was popular for folks using the Chinese radios (Baofeng/Wouxun), though apparently it can put stress on the RP-SMA connector’s solder joints due to the radio’s design. We had one potential issue manifest due to this.

@WoofyTheBunny (K9BUN) recommended the Diamond SRH77CA instead. Apparently it’s designed specifically for these radios and has a strategically placed piece of rubber for strain relief.

If you’re using a Japanese radio, you’ll need to find something equivalent using a normal SMA connector instead of RP-SMA. I used an Icom FA-S270E antenna and was happy with it.

I (along with almost any other ham) agree with upgrading an HT’s antenna! :slight_smile: I tossed a Comet SMA-24 on my wife’s Yaesu a while back, and it’s been pretty darn good (though obviously Diamond antennas rock, as you already mentioned). For those using Chinese radios, you can increase your quality antenna options by fitting it with an adapter.

I’m sorry I missed out on the radio activity! We were already on the road by the time the frequency info was posted. Alas. Next year! :slight_smile:

P.S. @WoofyTheBunny I love your callsign. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry I missed out on the radio activity! We were already on the road by the time the frequency info was posted. Alas. Next year!

We should make a sign with the frequency on it next year. Or, ya know, just post something here a bit earlier. :slight_smile:

A few of us have also been contemplating holding a holding an exam session next year for folks who don’t have a license yet. We’d need at least two more folks with a general/extra class license to act as examiners. I’m curious what the turnout would be…

Oh, that’s a cool idea! I’d guess it would be a small turnout, but adding new hams to the hobby is great regardless of numbers. :slight_smile:

Additionally, if planned well, it’s possible to put together a little mini field day Happening. :slight_smile:

I have a general class license. I could probably be convinced to fill out the paperwork to be an auxiliary examiner if someone wants to take charge of the event. I have a standing offer that any of my friends who license get a Baofeng from me, and everyone at CFT is my friend!

I could probably be convinced to fill out the paperwork to be an auxiliary examiner if someone wants to take charge of the event.

Awesome. And ya, I can take care of organizing and the paperwork to make everything official. :slight_smile:

I have a standing offer that any of my friends who license get a Baofeng from me, and everyone at CFT is my friend!

That’s a great idea. I’d be happy to chip in as well.

We’d need at least two more folks with a general/extra class license to act as examiners. I’m curious what the turnout would be…

I’m extra, if that’d help. I’ll hopefully be going again next year.

I didn’t really use my radio at all over the weekend except to check the weather, though.

I’ve been meaning to sit the examination, just haven’t gotten to it yet. So if it happened at Cft, I could definitely do it then. Or, if I stop being lazy, I would have at least the technician cert and a willingness to help…

One of us…! One of us!! :smiling_imp: