The World Tree - Temple 2016

Hello, everyone! I am excited to announce that we will have a 2nd Annual Temple at CFT 2016: The World Tree!

"The world tree is a motif present in several religions and mythologies… represented as a colossal tree which supports the heavens, thereby connecting the heavens, the terrestrial world, and, through its roots, the underworld." --Wikipedia, World Tree

Everyone at CFT is invited to come and visit The World Tree – at any time, day or night, throughout the event – as a place to remember, set an intention, or let go. It will be located in the big open field to the south of Red Camp… but in contrast to the “party” atmosphere you’ll find elsewhere, the Temple is meant as a place of quiet introspection, where participants are encouraged write (or draw!) their thoughts directly onto the wood of the structure. A few sharpies will be on-hand for you to use, or you can bring your own writing/drawing utensils. Then, on Sunday evening around Dark O’Clock, we will disassemble the wood panels, place them inside a fire ring in the big open area of Red Camp, and burn them to ashes in a spectacular bonfire!

You can also bring any small objects you’d like to burn – such as old letters, photos, and so on – though this year, we do ask that you NOT attach these to the temple directly! Because we have to disassemble and move it before we can burn it, such things are prone to falling off and turning into litter. Instead, please bring these objects with you to the burn on Sunday night, and toss them directly into the fire. Or, if you have to leave before the bonfire takes place, you can bring them to me , and I will make sure they end up in the flames on your behalf! :wink:

As many of last year’s attendees will remember, in 2015 we (the incredibly awesome @Moparskunk and I) designed and built the first “Temple” for CFT: The Rocketship. Again, Mopar and I will be collaborating to bring you a second Temple experience for 2016. You can view last year’s Temple plans, plus actual photos of the finished Temple and a handful of stories and reactions from others, over at this 2015 forum thread: The Rocketship: A Burnable "Temple" Project - #9 by DingoTime

This kind of “Temple” is not one the religious sense of the word, or at least not strictly so! It’s a non-denominational tradition adopted from Burning Man, wherein each year a large wooden structure is built – with participants visiting throughout the event to write their messages, thoughts, memories, and intentions – and then burned on the final night of the event.

Here is a beautiful short film on Vimeo about Burning Man’s Temple, for those who’d like a more intense glimpse into what it’s all about:

(Warning: this one is a serious tear-jerker, with content that might be triggering to some. Make sure you watch it with tissues at the ready, and/or when you’re not stuck at work or something!)

It can be a very powerful, transformative and healing experience for all involved, as anyone who has ever experienced it can attest! Plus it’s an excuse to gather everyone 'round a bigass fire – never a bad thing, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

This year, I’m also planning to hold an Opening Ceremony of some sort, likely on Friday afternoon. Time is TBD, but will be announced in the schedule. And if any of you would be interested in helping plan or hold the ceremony, please get in touch with me! You can comment below, send me a forum PM, or email (oce@campfiretails.org).

5 Likes

@oCe I’m so behind this. :3~ I love the concept of a Temple and would love to lend a voice/story to go with.

1 Like

I love how this makes CFT a more communal and special event. It also helps people who have not experienced this kind of thing to help them come together, let go, say good bye, or what not. it is an experience to behold. <3

1 Like