Suiting in the Great Outdoors!

Hi there! I recently got a partial made that I plan to bring with me to camp, but I haven’t ever gone suiting out there before. I know the ground is really rough on the foot paws, (from what I am told) And I have a few concerns about storage with the high temperatures and such potentially causing a bit of damage. Anybody have any good tips for a first timer?

I can offer some tips!

Feet:
Lots of people make their suits “fursuit sandals” - there are tons of tutorials out there such as this one, http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-Fursuit-Sandals/ but you can google for many more - which probably won’t keep the dirt/burrs/etc. TOTALLY off, but should at least help to keep the soles in good condition. And make sure that your feet are washable, as they’ll probably need it afterwards no matter what. (If they’re too delicate or can’t be washed, you might want to just skip the feet altogether, and wear boots or something instead.)

Avoiding heat damage:
If you prefer storing it somewhere enclosed/sealed: take a large tupperware tub, cover the whole thing with a mylar emergency blanket (the thin silver shiny kind), and tape it down or fold it under the edges of the tub so it stays put. That should reflect something like 90% of solar energy/heat, and stay fairly cool in the tub.
If you don’t mind having it “out”, not air-tight: try wrapping it up loosely in a large canvas dropcloth or sheet, and placing it somewhere off the ground (like a spare camp chair, bench, on top of a cooler or gear box, etc.) This way it can still “breathe,” so shouldn’t get nearly as hot as an enclosed space will.
No matter what, always avoid storing it in direct sun or any hot enclosed spaces (car, tent)! Hot glue especially is susceptible to melting in those conditions.

For suiting itself:
You probably know this, but best to avoid doing so during the hottest part of the day (~12-4pm), otherwise you may end up baking. :wink: Desert mornings, evenings and nights are MUCH cooler! Also consider getting a camelbak (water pouch w/drinking tube), they can make staying hydrated in-costume easier since you can drink continuously without fumbling around with water bottles or straws.

Thanks for the info!

I like the sandals Idea, But I lack the fundage to make those happen this year. I will definitely keep those in mind for future forays in the wild though. They could be quite useful, and probably save a great deal of trouble when cleaning in the future.

As for concerns about heat, due to the size of his box he will be staying in the car unless being worn, simply because I share a tent with somebody. That being said, I will see if I can’t find a fire blanket I at the store. I’m not sure if it matters much for he ambient heat from being a car/trunk, but I’ve seen suits with heat damage and that warped matted look would simply kill me in all honesty. :I

And yes, I plan to do most all of my suiting after sunset, with a lantern and a handler so I can see where I am going. Between kitchen duties and the fact I stand in front of a heated stove/grill all day, I’ll take the least hot option in a heartbeat! I have thought about getting a camel back for general use as well, but that again is a purchase that’ll come when I have some sort of funding available.

[quote=“Hawkfeather, post:3, topic:663”]I like the sandals Idea, But I lack the fundage to make those happen this year. I will definitely keep those in mind for future forays in the wild though. They could be quite useful, and probably save a great deal of trouble when cleaning in the future.[/quote]I would highly recommend you go with boots/shoes then, as oCe recommended. No one is going to give you a hard time over “breaking the magic” that way. Especially at night when they probably won’t even see it anyway.

[quote=“Hawkfeather, post:3, topic:663”]As for concerns about heat, due to the size of his box he will be staying in the car unless being worn, simply because I share a tent with somebody. That being said, I will see if I can’t find a fire blanket I at the store. I’m not sure if it matters much for he ambient heat from being a car/trunk, but I’ve seen suits with heat damage and that warped matted look would simply kill me in all honesty. :I[/quote]A fire blanket is not what you want; that’s a thick insulating wool blanket, which the heat will eventually soak through. You must use a silvery mylar sheet (“space blanket”) to act as a reflector of radiant energy. I’d also recommend leaving the windows on the car cracked to keep the car from accumulating too much heat. No insulation solution will really work if it sits and bakes in a 140-degree car-furnace for the whole day. Parking your car as close as you can under a stand of trees, to the northeast of their trunks, will keep the sun off your car during the hottest parts of the day, and will help immensely.

And depending on the materials, 140 degrees is indeed enough to damage some furs, and soften some low-temp hot glues.

Oops, Space blanket is what I was meaning to say actually! Got my safety gear all backwards there… But yes, I do plan to crack the windows, if I leave it in the back seat. Do you think leaving it in the (enclosed) trunk would be a good idea too? It usually stays much, much cooler than the rest of the car due to the lack of windows and such. I’d obviously still want to park in the shade if possible and still mylar the ever living hell out of it too, I assume?

I have a super big tent that I may have space in if you need something more breathable than a car. We can figure it out on site, but I’m sure I’ll have suitable (ha-ha!) spare space.

[quote=“Hawkfeather, post:5, topic:663”]I’d obviously still want to park in the shade if possible and still mylar the ever living hell out of it too, I assume?[/quote]Yes, definitely still do that. Trunk is better if, in your experience, it’s cooler than the rest of the car.

Sorry for the slow Response Ms. Okami! But it looks like we will be rooming with somebody who also has a massive tent that’ll have more than enough room for my box, so we have our storage covered. I appreciate the offer though, and if anything changes you’ll be the first person I bug! :>