Star gazing

So the amazing Maz took this over from me last year and boy that that cat knows about stars! I think everyone who went would agree that Maz did an amazing job and showed everyone some really cool stuff. I now know how to find the north star because of this event last year.

So join us again this year to view the night sky as we hardly get to see it in our daily lives.

Ideas? Improvements? Just want to help? Drop a line here or email me at koda@campfiretails.org

i would like to do it this year. but i think that this year it needs to be communicated a little better as to where it will be held. i wanted to go to it this last year, and i asked around where it was going to be held, but nobody knew, and the people that knew, were already there…so maybe either in the conbook state the location where it will be held, and/or have the new “consoulers” (i know that is probably spelled wrong, sorry) announce it (both when it begins and where it is going to be held, just so incase there is a change of venue, or somebody doesnt have their conbook handy)

I’ll have to agree with Boxy, I was told it was happening soon, so after doing something real quick, I went looking and couldn’t find them. Didn’t get there till it was almost over.

I completely agree boxy! That was one of the biggest problems of last year, since we didn’t have meeting spots for our events a few event had this happen… I missed judge the vast amount of space we acatuly had to work with. But rest assured that this will be taken care of for CFT2011.

well not only this event, but all the events really. i mean i wanted to participate in capture the flag but didnt know where it was until it had already started and all. again, have something printed in the conbook stating where the events are going to be held (example: Stargazing 10pm by the river. Capture the flag 2pm meet at the bathrooms, or something like that) and then also announce when it is happening/starting, as some people didnt have a watch (or other technology with a clock) handy to know what time it was, so by the time they went to the place where it was being held, it was midevent and it was “too late” to participate (guess i should post that part somewhere else, but thought since youre on staff, koda, you can mention it at one of the staff meetings).

i had no problem keeping track of the happenings but i recommend that all happenings that do not start in a tent start out at the main tent and move out from there

Sorry Boxy that was what I was trying to say in my lats post. How happening will be starting will be completely revamped in 2011. Sorry if worded that funny, but thanks so much for your input!

I’ll be totin my big ol telescope with me and can volunteer that for stargazing if ppl want

~Groggy =^.^=

Sweet! I will try to bring my home made telescope as well. The sky was so clear last year that I’m sure we could see some really cool stuff.

I’m really looking forward to this. Last year, Maz showed me how to see the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye. :open_mouth: I can only imagine what I’ll be able to see with a telescope. <3

Yeah, I’m completely missed this last year. I could’ve very easily been asleep xD

Another thing that would be fun is star tripping, we’d just need a safe place to do it where it’s open, kinda grassy, away from the river, and away from big rocks and stuff xD Though I don’t know if there are any places like that at the site xD

Yeah, I’d really like to join in this year. Maybe bring along an ambient soundtrack of sorts to set the space-themed mood. XD

And Mara, you were asleep. XD

[quote=“Pixelito, post:12, topic:215”]Yeah, I’d really like to join in this year. Maybe bring along an ambient soundtrack of sorts to set the space-themed mood. XD

And Mara, you were asleep. XD[/quote]

I have Symphonies of the Planets, I could burn a CD or something. XD

For those of you who don’t know, look on the wikipedia page for the Voyager Program, under Fiction and Popular Culture, it details how it was made. Quite literally space music, sounds awesome IMO.

Sadly it looks like Maz with not be able to make it to CFT this year. This event will still go on, but sadly without his awesome help.

Shows what you know.

I’ll be bringing star charts.

Bring binoculars or just your own eyes.

Oh sweet! :slight_smile: Glad to hear you will be making it then

My phone also has an app that shows you what constellations are in the sky where you point it :3

it better have a dark mode that displays in red only or it’s totes not allowed :wink:

Does it have a local database? (Test it with your phone in Airplane mode.)

[quote=“Koinu, post:19, topic:215”][quote author=BluefireJaguar link=topic=202.msg2356#msg2356 date=1310834395]
My phone also has an app that shows you what constellations are in the sky where you point it :3
[/quote]

Does it have a local database? (Test it with your phone in Airplane mode.)[/quote]

Yes it does apparently, and it sets it up based on current GPS coordinates