Stage for happenings

So theres been some talk about a fashion and talent show and both events would need a stage of some kind. I would like to hear some ideas for what our stage would look like and need.

[center]
In HS I used to do stagecraft and whenever we needed to modify a stage or make a practice stage or make weight barring wagons or theatrical platforms we would use this basic work horse design comprised of 2x4 and a sheet of plywood atop, and then were painted black on the outside [/center]
[center]
Braces are not necessary for good stability but are still nice [/center]

two of these rectangle platform pieces would provide us a fairly nice area for a stage. two more square platforms could make it very modular. In Stagecraft these platforms could be made very very fast with 2 or three people, hell I made 4 of these myself in under an hour. they are also very easily raised with 2x4 stilts and a skirt to hide the gap. If we raised a platform a foot high or lower we could hide the gap using dry ice and buckets making them look all floaty. Putting them together onsite would be very easy if we can get the materials to the campsite. These are also very safe and can handle lots of people running and jumping on them plus whatever props people wanted up <3

[center]
(cardboard light box)[/center]
What do you think? or what ideas do you guys have? oCe had the bright idea to maybe do these events at night so also throw out lighting solutions and anything else you might conjure in your mind
[center][/center]

I’ve brought up the idea of having a stage for CFT a few times and been told the same thing each time. No budget for it. If you can find some way to afford and transport said materials, I’m all for it.

I say we rip up someone’s neighbor’s porch and use that.

yeahhh. I was pretty sure this wouldn’t be covered by the budget so I threw it in General discussion. * shrugs*paying for this myself isn’t exactly hard, but it really all hinders if I can get a truck out from cali.

it’s gonna need to be a community effort if people wanna see it fly, I guess it should also be noted that ideas should be fairly cheap, since guests with staff help will be making this.

I’d love to have a stage of some kind, as I’m sure a lot of us would. :smiley:

I also like the platform idea, but I know I don’t personally have a way to transport that much lumber - that seems to be the downfall of going that route. :confused: If someone has or can get a truck, it would be great… but counting on that is the tough part, I think.

How about instead of a platform, build some simple stage “blinds” with PVC pipe framing? It’d be cheap, <$20 per segment as shown here, and I know for sure PVC is really easy to transport (since I already tie bundles of it to my car for my monkey hut)! They could then be draped with curtains, canvas or sheets so there’s a nice little backstage area you can’t see from the audience. A simple dropcloth or tarp could serve as the stage floor itself (so it can be swept clean of dirt and rocks and such), but wouldn’t even be all that necessary, as long as there’s some sort of markings to indicate where “stage” ends and “audience” begins.

Here’s a sketch of how this might work - sorry about the wobbly hand-drawn lines, but you get the idea!

[quote=“oCe, post:5, topic:428”]I’d love to have a stage of some kind, as I’m sure a lot of us would. :smiley:

I also like the platform idea, but I know I don’t personally have a way to transport that much lumber - that seems to be the downfall of going that route. :confused: If someone has or can get a truck, it would be great… but counting on that is the tough part, I think.

How about instead of a platform, build some simple stage “blinds” with PVC pipe framing? It’d be cheap, <$20 per segment as shown here, and I know for sure PVC is really easy to transport (since I already tie bundles of it to my car for my monkey hut)! They could then be draped with curtains, canvas or sheets so there’s a nice little backstage area you can’t see from the audience. A simple dropcloth or tarp could serve as the stage floor itself (so it can be swept clean of dirt and rocks and such), but wouldn’t even be all that necessary, as long as there’s some sort of markings to indicate where “stage” ends and “audience” begins.

Here’s a sketch of how this might work - sorry about the wobbly hand-drawn lines, but you get the idea![/quote]

I like the idea of a stage as it would be nice to have a more centralized location for events and things. I can definitely help with building the thing but as far as getting components up from Cali, I’m stuck with my honda accord this year so unless it’s small or can reasonably fit on my roof rack, I probably won’t be of much help.

Just tossing in another idea: to accomodate a big show crowd, perhaps there could be a designated area in the audience just in front of the stage (maybe 10-15ft deep?) that is a “no chairs” zone. People must sit on the ground within this area, though are encouraged to bring a flat thing (blanket/jacket/piece of cardboard) to sit on. People who bring chairs can set them up behind this area, and should be able to see easily over the ground sitters… and people who prefer to stand can stand at the back, and see over everyone!

This would help alleviate a typical problem with informal audiences: a single line of chairs up front, impossible to rearrange or get by, followed by a bunch of people standing up behind them, no one but the front able to see anything, and late comers way in back and totally screwed. :stuck_out_tongue: I bet fewer people would be willing to sit on the ground if they have a cushy camp chair; this leaves the best seats for people less well-equipped, willing to be low-profile, or who can squeeze in when the show is already in progress. But everyone ends up with better visibility, too.

Oh yeah, and a center-aisle ‘no seating’ zone would be useful in various ways, too… in particular, it could double as a runway for the fashion segment of the show. :wink:

[quote=“oCe, post:8, topic:428”]Just tossing in another idea: to accomodate a big show crowd, perhaps there could be a designated area in the audience just in front of the stage (maybe 10-15ft deep?) that is a “no chairs” zone. People must sit on the ground within this area, though are encouraged to bring a flat thing (blanket/jacket/piece of cardboard) to sit on. People who bring chairs can set them up behind this area, and should be able to see easily over the ground sitters… and people who prefer to stand can stand at the back, and see over everyone!

This would help alleviate a typical problem with informal audiences: a single line of chairs up front, impossible to rearrange or get by, followed by a bunch of people standing up behind them, no one but the front able to see anything, and late comers way in back and totally screwed. :stuck_out_tongue: I bet fewer people would be willing to sit on the ground if they have a cushy camp chair; this leaves the best seats for people less well-equipped, willing to be low-profile, or who can squeeze in when the show is already in progress. But everyone ends up with better visibility, too.

Oh yeah, and a center-aisle ‘no seating’ zone would be useful in various ways, too… in particular, it could double as a runway for the fashion segment of the show. ;)[/quote]

Sounds interesting. I can definitely see where long runs of LED rope light can come in handy here

[quote=“GroggyFox, post:9, topic:428”][quote author=oCe link=topic=426.msg3306#msg3306 date=1338098970]
Just tossing in another idea: to accomodate a big show crowd, perhaps there could be a designated area in the audience just in front of the stage (maybe 10-15ft deep?) that is a “no chairs” zone. People must sit on the ground within this area, though are encouraged to bring a flat thing (blanket/jacket/piece of cardboard) to sit on. People who bring chairs can set them up behind this area, and should be able to see easily over the ground sitters… and people who prefer to stand can stand at the back, and see over everyone!

Oh yeah, and a center-aisle ‘no seating’ zone would be useful in various ways, too… in particular, it could double as a runway for the fashion segment of the show. :wink:
[/quote]

Sounds interesting. I can definitely see where long runs of LED rope light can come in handy here[/quote]

Ooh, yes! I don’t have any of that yet myself, but it’s not terribly expensive. Good old christmas lights can do the job, too. If we end up making the PVC blinds (and I can help with this!), xmas lights around the edges would add awesome ambience. ;D And hey make battery operated ones, should power be otherwise scarce.

[quote=“oCe, post:10, topic:428”][quote author=GroggyFox link=topic=426.msg3308#msg3308 date=1338099559]

Sounds interesting. I can definitely see where long runs of LED rope light can come in handy here
[/quote]

Ooh, yes! I don’t have any of that yet myself, but it’s not terribly expensive. Good old christmas lights can do the job, too. If we end up making the PVC blinds (and I can help with this!), xmas lights around the edges would add awesome ambience. ;D And hey make battery operated ones, should power be otherwise scarce.[/quote]

OMFG I just had an idea.
http://www.amazon.com/Changing-LED-Strip-Controller-Ledwholesalers/dp/B0040FJ27S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338135423&sr=8-1
These bad boys! My friends have used them to light up whole rooms before, plus they change colors so it would be wonderful for stage lighting IMO

[quote=“GroggyFox, post:11, topic:428”][quote author=oCe link=topic=426.msg3312#msg3312 date=1338111776]

Ooh, yes! I don’t have any of that yet myself, but it’s not terribly expensive. Good old christmas lights can do the job, too. If we end up making the PVC blinds (and I can help with this!), xmas lights around the edges would add awesome ambience. ;D And hey make battery operated ones, should power be otherwise scarce.
[/quote]

OMFG I just had an idea.
http://www.amazon.com/Changing-LED-Strip-Controller-Ledwholesalers/dp/B0040FJ27S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338135423&sr=8-1
These bad boys! My friends have used them to light up whole rooms before, plus they change colors so it would be wonderful for stage lighting IMO[/quote]

Wow that led strip is sick! I just might have to get one

[quote=“GroggyFox, post:11, topic:428”]OMFG I just had an idea.
These bad boys! My friends have used them to light up whole rooms before, plus they change colors so it would be wonderful for stage lighting IMO[/quote]

Whoa, awesome… not even that expensive either! o_O I wonder if it being 12 volts means it could be run it off one of those standard 8-AA battery packs (1.5v x 8 = 12v) - that’s what I use to power my elwire costume stuff.