Question about meeting new people

Hello!

I just got an email saying I can register for CFT, but my mate and I are wondering if CFT is right for us.

Is it easy to meet new furs? And how easy will it be for us to get rides (we’ll chip in for gas)?

My mate and I are both border collies from Alaska, and CFT seemed right up our alley. But we’re both a little nervous about traveling all that way since we won’t know anyone there.

Any help would be appreciated,
Flick

I felt much the same way when I went to My first furmeet in the bay area. I’ve found most furs to be quite open and friendly, so yeah, I’d say it would be a good idea to come down. One nice thing with this con is it’s not huge, and I’ve only heard good things about it. It’ll be My first trip to this con, and I’m looking forward to it as I’ve been to many much larger motorcycle campouts, so I’m used to camping with groups. The site is beautiful from all the pictures I’ve seen and typical of furs, everyone will be friendly.

It’s like a family reunion to me. The good kind. You meet up with people you might rarely see otherwise and find new family you never knew you had in the first place. I never thought I’d go to a con, but I loved camping so I gave CFT a shot back in it’s first year and I’ve been hooked ever since. Now I work in the kitchen every year and it’s always one of the biggest annual events I look forward to.

It’s fairly easy to meet new people, there’s gathering spots all over either at the main area around the kitchen, the nearby creek and waterfall, or at any number of fire pits around camp. I wander in my free time and frequently find an inviting fire to sit by or a friendly face. Every year I make new friends and even if we don’t keep in touch, the following year we share a big hug and it’s like everything was just on pause until the next CFT.

I wasn’t sure about my first year either, but was pleasantly surprised by how friendly and welcoming the majority of people are. Good places to meet people are at various campfires at night, waterfall during the day, meal times, and any happenings that particularly interest you… oh, and volunteering is good for that, too. :wink:

However, if you’re needing to find rides all the way down from Alaska… I personally don’t know of anyone who drives down from that far north! (But someone correct me if I’m wrong…) You would probably need to find a way to first get down to Seattle or Portland (plane/train/etc.) to make that work. If you can at least get to SEA/PDX, though, it should be fairly easy to find rides from there. Hope that helps!