To start, I’ll summarize what is in the topic from last year~!
It has some very great points:
- We ask that you check in with staff with a list of all going and have a way to contact us in case of emergency!
- Keeping channels open with Base is important!
- Good shoes will also be a must, since the trail crosses an obsidian flow.
- Have an entrenching tool for the group, and either a bucket or a tarp to ferry cold water from the lake.
- More shovels would be good if people have them.
- Cell service is spotty, but available.
Direction-wise there’s good info as well:
Deschutes National Forest, no entry fee required.
The trail-head to use is the Little Crater Campground parking area at (43.718070, -121.241027)
The hot springs area is around (43.732833, -121.251300)
[(43.731946, -121.255689) based on the directions]
About 1 to 1.5 miles each way, conservatively.
A word of caution to anyone interested - it is about a mile and a half light hike each way. No significant elevation gain in the hike, but a few parts are narrow enough, with a long enough drop, to be a touch unnerving if you aren’t 100% confident in your balance.
We advise against this outing if you’re significantly drunk on departure, or plan on drinking significant amounts at the lake. There are spaces in which anything less than a sure-foot could cause a disaster, please judge your sobriety responsibility.
Very excited for this year!!! :3~