Commerce?

In keeping with thread names starting with “C”… :wink:

I have some questions regarding the selling of goods/services! Figured I would ask here, so that others with the same questions might share in the answers. :slight_smile: So far, the only place I see sales mentioned is on the Code of Conduct page ( http://campfiretails.org/pages/2010-code-of-conduct ) which states:

"Buying and Selling

Campfire Tails has a tent that will be specifically marked for sales of items. If this area exceeds it’s boundaries, staff may allocate additional space for public displays and performances. Any attendee who receives payment for goods or services (such as body painting, massage, etc.) in the event grounds must comply with all the convention’s rules regarding this. In order to buy, sell or perform you must obtain a pahandler’s permit from the event coordinators."

Here, then, are my questions:

1. How and where do you obtain this permit? In advance, at the event, or both?
  2. Is there a fee for the permit? If yes, how much?
  3. Will space in the aforementioned sales tent be reserved, or is it first-come-first-serve?
  4. How large will the tent be?
  5. What amenities (beyond tent) are provided for sellers? Ie, will there be tables and chairs, or will a vendor be expected to bring their own, etc.?
  6. Would we be allowed to bring our own structure (ie, a shade canopy) and sell under that, akin to a craft fair?
  7. Would we be allowed to sell things at or near our campsite instead?
  8. Can items be secured, or does everything have to be removed (stored in a personal tent or car) overnight?

I know, that’s a lot of questions, but at least they’re all interrelated. ;D I am thinking about possibly coming out to CFT as I also live in Oregon, but am trying to get a feel for what exactly the “commerce” component of the event entails before I decide. Thanks in advance for your help!
-oCe

Oh my, you’re right!

I’ll do my best!

The policies will have to be adjusted! There will be no permits required for those who decide to hold commerce, however, the park will charge a fee of 5% of total earned revenue from sales. This can be paid to the event planners, Koda and Z at the end of CFT with copies of reciepts.

[quote=“oCe, post:1, topic:48”]3. Will space in the aforementioned sales tent be reserved, or is it first-come-first-serve?
4. How large will the tent be?
5. What amenities (beyond tent) are provided for sellers? Ie, will there be tables and chairs, or will a vendor be expected to bring their own, etc.?[/quote]

It will be handled on a first-come first-served basis, for the communal tent. It will be a circular 30x30 space, with three picnic tables. It wont be terribly elaborate, with our humble group. :slight_smile:

Absolutely! There is plenty of space available in the sandbox where the Happenings are to take place. If you check the Happenings subforum, you will see that some people have already started arranging similar craft workshops and sales. Check the Happenings FAQ and start planning!

I’m going to try to separate spillover between the two. If someone gets confused about where to go for whatever random activities that take place, we could end up with confused fuzzies wandering through someone’s campsite unwanted!

We will have a team of public safety personnel at the site at all times, however I still highly encourage people to stow away anything that they can. I hope this helps, and I appreciate you asking this openly! I hope to see you there!

Thank you for your replies! Nice to get a timely response, which is more than can be said for every con’s staff. ::slight_smile:

I think about the only concern I’d have left would be transacting in the wilderness… ie, no ATMs, no computers with PayPal. :open_mouth: I’m not sure how that will work, aside from reminding people to bring enough cash or checks if they want to buy things. Oldschool!

Otherwise, your answers (placeholders?) sound good. Please keep us posted about what the exact requirements are for selling, permits needed or not, etc.! I can’t make a final decision about going quite yet, but it’s definitely a maybe. :slight_smile:

[quote=“oCe, post:1, topic:48”]8. Can items be secured, or does everything have to be removed (stored in a personal tent or car) overnight?

-oCe[/quote]

Keep in mind you’ll need to secure items against weather and wildlife as much as two legged mischief. Just about any weather except snow/frost is possible.

There is a town not to far, if you run out of money : )

Maybe it would be a good thing to encourage everyone to set up SMS/Mobile access to their Paypal account before they come to the con?

That is a great idea. Can you find a page that describes how to set that up?

oCe, I’m stoked you’re considering coming out to the con and I hope you’ll be happy enough with what we’ve got planned to make the trek!

squints Where are ya going to charge yer phone?

Last year a handful of furs brought car batteries tied into power inverters for charging electronics, running a coffeemaker and a stereo, etc. Setups like that are cheap to make, and I’m sure at least a handful of fuzzies will being a couple of them. Being a user-driven-content event; if you want it, BRING IT! :smiley:

[quote=“beata, post:9, topic:48”]squints Where are ya going to charge yer phone?

[quote author=Koinu link=topic=25.msg236#msg236 date=1273153414]
Maybe it would be a good thing to encourage everyone to set up SMS/Mobile access to their Paypal account before they come to the con?
[/quote][/quote]

I have a crafting business so I thought I’d hop in here…

I do custom machine embroidery, mainly patches. If people want anything obviously you have to request it in advance as I can’t bring my machine. :wink: My Etsy shop is here to show what kind of stuff I have or can make. I also have stuff on Deviantart that I haven’t ever put in my my shop so you can check that.

I also can bring my Patterpillars, they are $5 each. :slight_smile: I don’t plan to set up a table or anything, but I’m sure I won’t be hard to track down.