CFT 2010 Food

Alright, boys and girl(s) i want some feedback on the actual food and serving process. please try to keep it positive cause i wanna keep this post-con high going (i got home last night and was able to fully unpack and get everything put away and still had enough energy to run around the yard with the dog for an hour o.O i think it has something to do with the altitude difference) XD

be nice <3

I don’t understand how you actually made perfect chicken whilst camping. Usually it’s charred to all hell on the outside and not done on the inside.

In other threads, people said that they’d like a bell or some sort of signal that it’s time for food. That’d be nice. Also, having meal remnants sitting on the ground next to that water spigot was kinda disgusting. Can we think of a better, alternate way to clean dishes? Maybe community tubs full of soapy water and clean water respectively?

All in all, I was really well fed. Loved the meals. Thanks again, X. <3

yes, i was the original person that brought up the dinnerbell/air horn idea for the meals so that way we know when dinner is actually ready, since sometimes meals were runnning late. i would go to the kitchen at 10/2/6 and it wasnt done so i came back later and sometimes either a) it was all gone, or b) it was cold.

also, seconding 12inc’s post kinda, when i reg’d when it asked about if there were any specific special needs for foods, i put down that i needed my chicken to be dry because if it wasnt, my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) would reak havic on me. the chicken wasnt done enough and i spent half an hour in the bathroom dealing with the side effects. luckily i brought some immodium and that did help some but i just think that if i request that mine be done dry, it should be done. i mean no offence intended at all. just thought id bring that up.

I thought that the food was pretty damned delicious!

…Yeah, I’m helpful, huh?

This is mostly my fault, in more than one way:

First, there was a bug in the registration software making it impossible to tell whether someone had written anything into the “Dietary Preferences” box. It was discovered and fixed about halfway into the registration period, but I simply never got around to sending out email to those who might’ve been affected, asking whether they had any input.

Second, at crunch time while preparing and printing the sign-in forms, I ran out of ink and while dealing with that, forgot to create a from-the-database report of the dietary preferences responses that were saved.

TLDR: The only information X had to work with on-site was an aggregated list of the food allergies people had written on their sign-in forms.

I apologize for the screw-ups this year, and promise that next year the registration form will be more clear about how that information will be handled: It will be provided in aggregate form to the cook staff, and thus you will need to make particular requests such as cooked-dry chicken in person.

Yeah, I got a fever… and the only solution is more cowbell.

The food was amazing. I think the pork should make a comeback, next year… this time, due to more people being there, of course; it should be a whole pig roasted over a fire for hours and hours. Plop the whole thing on a picnic table and give everyone forks and knives and let them have at it! Ok, that would be disastrous, actually. :-X

Someone suggested cutting out one of the meals to make things easier on staff… brunch and dinner would be sufficient.
Small snacks could be available in addition to the drinks in order to tide people over. I really appreciated the gatorade and the tang but, some little fun size bags of trail mix or cheez-its or whathaveyou would have been good.

Overall, it was pretty awesome… I ate better at camp than I do at home.

the camp meals were some of the best i ever had

I thought the food ranged from “pretty good” to “outstanding”, considering the conditions. It’s not easy whipping up meals for 60+ people outdoors in a sun-baked rocky plain of a food-prep area.

I favor the cowbell mealtime announcement system. :smiley:

i agree with a signal for meals (triangle maybe) or a simple way to get the mesage around. I would also make slightly larger portions.

also COFFEE!

though us caffeine addicts found our energy through the graces of a few kind souls (sorry i forget names so easily) it would be recommendable to provide a few cups per person (maybe a coffee fund? id give 5 bucks for good joe)

The only thing I can say is moar! Seemed to me like the portions were on the small side.

[quote=“boxythefoxy, post:3, topic:174”]yes, i was the original person that brought up the dinnerbell/air horn idea for the meals so that way we know when dinner is actually ready, since sometimes meals were runnning late. i would go to the kitchen at 10/2/6 and it wasnt done so i came back later and sometimes either a) it was all gone, or b) it was cold.

also, seconding 12inc’s post kinda, when i reg’d when it asked about if there were any specific special needs for foods, i put down that i needed my chicken to be dry because if it wasnt, my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) would reak havic on me. the chicken wasnt done enough and i spent half an hour in the bathroom dealing with the side effects. luckily i brought some immodium and that did help some but i just think that if i request that mine be done dry, it should be done. i mean no offence intended at all. just thought id bring that up.[/quote]Canines always get diarrhea from chicken.

I’d have liked a little bit more greenery. Salad was good. Would be better with about double that amount, if it’s possible.

Word to that. Considering that normally I am a Veggie-gryph (mostly, not fundamentalist) I would have liked a veg option BUT I inderstand that when one is camping one may make exceptions. I was so logy Saturday from digesting all that (delicious) pork!

OK, as far as coffee is concerned: I am a certifiable coffee worshiper. Ask anyone who knows me.
(Ask Bennet or Crowley, hehe, they will tell you tales of zombie-Bal wandering around camp looking for hot water for coffee) I think next year we need a Coffee Coordinator ™ to make sure there is enough of the delicious beverage to sufficiently awaken campers for the festivities to follow.

volunteers

Doesn’t matter if it’s Cowboy coffee or French press, ah needs mah coffee! =^.^=

[quote=“Maowing Fox, post:10, topic:174”][/quote]Canines always get diarrhea from chicken.
[/quote]
well i mean it didnt help that i have IBS…if i didnt have ibs i probably would have been fine. but according to forgets who itwas and is to lazy to read through the posts to see who said it but they said that their chicken was “burnt/charred” on the outside and “moist/wet/raw” on the inside. so i mean even if i didnt have ibs there might have been a possiblity of having that

You’re not a canine sir. You’re a VULPINE.

that was actually somebody stating that they were happy the chicken DIDN’T turn out that way, as it was prone to do on camping trips. ;p

folf…oh wait you werent there monday night/tuesday morning…im red fox, fennec fox, timber wolf, maned wolf hybrid (hybrid of my fursonas)

[quote=“BlackWolf, post:15, topic:174”][quote author=boxythefoxy link=topic=157.msg1332#msg1332 date=1281811519]
well i mean it didnt help that i have IBS…if i didnt have ibs i probably would have been fine. but according to forgets who itwas and is to lazy to read through the posts to see who said it but they said that their chicken was “burnt/charred” on the outside and “moist/wet/raw” on the inside. so i mean even if i didnt have ibs there might have been a possiblity of having that
[/quote]

that was actually somebody stating that they were happy the chicken DIDN’T turn out that way, as it was prone to do on camping trips. ;p[/quote]

oh okay sorry my bad :stuck_out_tongue: it just didnt show up below when i was typing it up and i was tryingto remember exactly what was said, all i remembered was burnt/chared and moist

so just thoguht id like to give an extra shout out (even though i did put in my two cents worth) the food was amazing, selection was great, quanities perfect

Someone else mentioned brunch in this thread, which I think would be a good idea. Having breakfast/Brunch/Lunch later would give everyone a chance to wake-up (late, of course, after partying and carrying on all night), have a turn in the bathroom, and the showers, and get caffeinated before gathering around the kitchen. Then to sort of subsidize breakfast into a mostly non-cooking affair with either snacks or pre-packaged breakfast pastry and Coffee for our early risers.

i think this would be a good idea. not sure what type of food would be served for brunch though, but id second this thought. for those who partied/stayed up late, or just didnt hear their alarms go off or know that breakfast was already being served