Cardboard mask workshop

Would anyone be interested in a workshop for mask-making? :slight_smile: Specifically, cardboard masks - cheap, plentiful material, nontoxic/burnable scraps, easy to work with, makes a surprisingly sturdy result. Bring your mask home and keep it if you love it, throw it on the fire if you hate it! (or throw it on the fire if you love it, sometimes that’s fun too)

Participation would be free, with perhaps a donation jar for materials if anyone wants to help out; cardboard is free, but unfortunately nice artist’s masking tape, xacto blades, and paint are not! I also hope to bring some UV-glow paints. I could make a few templates of popular animals (foxes, wolves, cats…) for people who’re less inclined towards drawing their own, so feel free to suggest an animal. And bring any interesting collage materials you want to donate: fur scraps, pipe cleaners, fake jewels, etc. (Just don’t use synthetic stuff or take it off first if you want to burn it!)

Attached is a mask I’m working on for myself, unpainted, to give a really basic idea. I’m also starting work on an example 3D one, people would be able to choose a difficulty to match their attention span and skill level.

Oh, and this would of course need to happen before the variety/fashion show, so people can show off their work! ;D

p.s. I’ll have ground tarps, and look into the environmental impact of the paints. I can carry out the grey paintwater if needed.

Sounds cool, I think a lot of people would be into it especially if it were conducted as a drop-in activity (as opposed to a start-time/end-time type event)

Yes yes yes! This sounds like a perfectly awesome idea!

I may have some spare materials I can bring to donate as well.

Devin: good point, I’ll think about how I can do that… I was thinking it’d be a scheduled thing, if only so I don’t have to stay in one place all day! But it could be informal, and a fairly long window. My idea is to do a demo about construction at the beginning, then help anyone who needs it to get started on a design, but people could come and go as they want otherwise.

Oki: Awesome! Bring anything you like… I have some miscellaneous materials lying around, but more is always welcome. :3

Now to figure out when best to hold such a thing. Friday? Saturday?

Groggy’s tail making happening from last year was pretty much like that. He had a scheduled time to teach us what to do and how to do it and after he was certain we had things down he let us loose on his scrap fur and sewing supplies. Some people came around later and started up little things with the supplies or Groggy would check in every now and then and it seemed to work out quite well.

That sounds like a fun idea! I’m willing to donate whatever supplies i have lying around my workshop as well (masking take, razor/exacto knives, paints, etc.) and as Oki mentioned, last year’s tail making worked out well as a 1 hour scheduled how to, then I left everything for people to use and helped people out individually as needed popping back into the craft tent every once in a while.

Supply donations would be very welcome! Especially the tape, blades, paint… and of course anyone who wants can bring some cardboard, I find these things are kind of addictive, it’s hard to stop after just making one. ;D

Yeah, that sounds good to have it on the schedule for an hour, and I’ll just hang around for awhile after that. I was hoping to be able to do it at my own camp (since if all goes well I’ll be bringing my monkey hut again, for project and lounging space!) but it could also be held in the general art tent just as easily. From what Crowley tells me, the theme camp area will be pretty close to the main happenings area this year anyway, so hopefully it won’t be too hard to find either way. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah and here’s that ocelot mask, my first sample, which is now mostly done! Still needs whiskers, and some glow-in-the-dark paint (which I WILL be bringing with me ;))…

[quote=“oCe, post:7, topic:431”]Supply donations would be very welcome! Especially the tape, blades, paint… and of course anyone who wants can bring some cardboard, I find these things are kind of addictive, it’s hard to stop after just making one. ;D

Yeah, that sounds good to have it on the schedule for an hour, and I’ll just hang around for awhile after that. I was hoping to be able to do it at my own camp (since if all goes well I’ll be bringing my monkey hut again, for project and lounging space!) but it could also be held in the general art tent just as easily. From what Crowley tells me, the theme camp area will be pretty close to the main happenings area this year anyway, so hopefully it won’t be too hard to find either way. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah and here’s that ocelot mask, my first sample, which is now mostly done! Still needs whiskers, and some glow-in-the-dark paint (which I WILL be bringing with me ;))…[/quote]

Oh dang, that looks awesome. And yah, it should be pretty easy if yah wanna host in your monkey hut. Just lemme know =^.^=

oCe that is awesome! I can’t wait for this.