Camp Fire Tails Con Book and Con Theme Decorations: Brainstorming

Well guys it’s high time we get started with the artsty fartsy parts of this convention. As one of the art directors I’m supposed to get this ball rolling and make sure we have a kick-ass con book and stellar artistic atmosphere. But before I get to hitting the books, I want to ask you all what you would like to see in the con book and around the convention.

So then, I’d like you guys to brainstorm and come up with some ideas for what you think we should include in the con book.

Here are some basic con book classics as far as content goes:

[ul][li]Messages from Con Staff[/li]
[li]Con staff bios[/li]
[li]Mention and thanks of Patrons/Sponsors/Volunteers and other contributors to the convention[/li]
[li]Code of Conduct[/li]
[li]Guest of Honor? (Are we even doing something like this?)[/li]
[li]Special Guests? (Are we doing anything like this?)[/li]
[li]Event/happening descriptions, locations and times[/li]
[li]maps[/li]
[li]Advertising Space for artists, web designers, musicians, etc[/li]
[li]Stories Gallery[/li]
[li]Poems Gallery[/li]
[li]Art Gallery[/li][/ul]

Any additional ideas or suggestions would be great! Do you know of an artist who’s art should be featured in the con book? Do you have an amazing poem that just begs to be read? Are you a web designer who’s advertisement should totally be here? If so, speak up and let us know.

And as for the look of the con itself, well this gets extremely fun! You guys are perfectly welcome and encouraged to submit ideas to the con staff for art installations and happenings (Kota and Z are handling this part I believe). I would like to have some fun decoration and perhaps interactive elements as well. Our theme is “Down The Rabbit Hole” and while the I have a few ideas that I’d like to keep as a surprise for the con, I would love to open up the floor to you guys. Do you have any kick ass ideas that we all just can’t live without? What do you want the convention to look like? Keep in mind we are outdoors so there are restrictions and all ideas will have to be checked for safety and approved before we can give 'em the ok. We can’t do anything that might be a fire hazard or would contaminate the soil, cause harm to others or wildlife, etc.

Alright, warm up your arty brains and throw ideas at me people! Don’t be shy, you just might have the most awesome idea ever!

–Tiggy

Just an idea to toss out about the con book… sense we are going on a campout you might want to have a ‘camping’ section with such useful things as camp fire songs… how to make nom nom nomy smores and what to do if you find out that you just used poison oak to wipe yourself.

Anyway… some ideas.

Hey I’m a Oregon, Corvallis Furry artist and would love to help any that i can.

I can do art or such if you need, come check out my gallery and see if i can maybe used.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/charrio/

Just let me know what i can do,

Charrio

let me know if you need any art or help workin the conbook out too. Ive got highschool yearbook editing experience under my belt at least :3 (actually I am also currently employed as a graphic designer so no worries) but ya, just stumbled upon the ads for CT on furaffinity and Im stoked -crash the ottah

I can’t think of any new additions.

I’m still here waiting to be told what to do. Workhorse Xeen, standing by!

I’m also an Oregon artist, though I’m heading out-of-state for the summer for work. ;p I’d love to submit some art for the conbook, let us know when you’ve got guidelines!

Here’s my FA: http://furaffinity.net/user/pandragon

Alas I won’t be able to make it this year. ;____; I’ve been wanting an Oregon furry con for a decade, and now that there IS ONE I can’t go. But, there’s always the possibility for next year!

Oh my god I just thought of a brilliant (maybe) idea for a decoration. Will show an example after I’ve put it on paper.

Whoa guys! I just recently got back from my trip to NYC and I see all this! This is awesome, I love that people are getting interested!

[quote=“Tarka, post:2, topic:37”]Just an idea to toss out about the con book… sense we are going on a campout you might want to have a ‘camping’ section with such useful things as camp fire songs… how to make nom nom nomy smores and what to do if you find out that you just used poison oak to wipe yourself.

Anyway… some ideas.[/quote]

Great idea Tarka! For sure, this is a camping con so there could be camping related materials like camp songs to sing along to, recipes for smores and instructions on how to look out for creepy critters. Perhaps we might even have something like a critter guide (bugs, birds, and mammals common around our campsite) people could go birdwatching or hiking with to identify certain critters and tracks.

As for the artists interested in submitting their work or advertisements–Charrio, Crashheart and Pan–thanks for your interest! As soon as the staff and I figure out the rules and guidelines for submissions for the CFT conbook I will make an official post requesting submissions and give you all the nitty-gritty details.

Oki, I’m really looking forward to hearing your idea and hopefully more of you guys will have some nice ideas to share.

I’m really looking forward to it!

I have a question! :smiley:
Can any artist add artwork to the book of con?
I’m a local cartoonist and all I draw is furry art.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/mara-san/
I’d love to do art if it’s needed :3
I’m also working with scrap booking and badge making if we need help with that!

[quote=“Mara-san, post:9, topic:37”]I have a question! :smiley:
Can any artist add artwork to the book of con?
I’m a local cartoonist and all I draw is furry art.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/mara-san/
I’d love to do art if it’s needed :3
I’m also working with scrap booking and badge making if we need help with that![/quote]

Absolutely Mara-san! And as for doing badges, you can let people know on the Eugene Oregon Furs Google group, or here on the Campfire Tails forum. After our next staff meeting we should have the rules for submitting art for the con book and then I’ll make an official post with all the requirements and you can submit anything you think would work. Camping related material will of course be the best!

Thanks for your interested and I hope to see you at the con. ^.^

Progress is slow-going but should pick up next week as far as art submissions.

For the time being I have an outline of general content that we will most likely need for the book and some general guidelines for the format to submit in. All of this is subject to change as we get the details nailed down.

[list]General Guidelines for submitting your art:

[ul][li]All styles and mediums of art submissions are welcome![/li]
[li]Art submissions for the front and back covers should be in color. All other submissions may be color or black and white (and will likely be printed in black and white)[/li]
[li]Art and advertisement submissions are to be made digitally. The following formats and resolution are preferred:
[/li][li]AI[/li]
[li]EPS[/li]
[li]PSD[/li]
[li]TIF[/li]
[li]GIF (For black and white submissions only, this includes halftone for the time being. A higher resolution then 300 may be encouraged. This is the least preferred format but can be worked with.)[/li]
[li]minimum of 300dpi resolution[/li]
[li] Art submissions for the front and back cover should be of a ratio such as to fit well cropped within the 8.5x11" cover surface. Try to avoid any overly bizarre image proportions.[/li][/ul]

[list]Some Suggestions on Content to Submit:

[ul][li]Font and Back Cover Art[/li][li]
[list][li]This will most likely be in color. Something eye catching and interesting so people will want to crack the book open and thumb around! Something that embodies the spirit of Campfire Tails including but not limited to: the outdoors, animals, camping, furries in their natural habitat, arts and crafts, music, community, fun, sun and all that good stuff with a good Alice in Wonderland twist! Be creative and have fun. We should really push the them of the con for these submissions: “Down the Rabbit Hole”.[/li][/list][/li]
[li]Inside the Book[/li][li]
[list][li]Full sized illustrations and artwork with an outdoor/wildlife/camping/creative and artfulness, again with an Alice in Wonderland theme. Anything that would go well with the theme of the con will be a good submission.[/li]
[li]Small headers, footers and space savers for decoration and balance. These are just simple drawings that can be used to fill in spaces at the end of a page or to round out the content, add accent and decoration or just spice up interest. (Think clip art.)[/li]
[li]Advertisements. No decision on how much space will be reserved for advertisements but for now design simple banners and small ads are best.[/li][/list][/li][/ul]

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Please do not start submitting art. This is just a guideline to let you know what kind of art we will be looking for. As soon as we know exactly what we need I will make a brand new “Con Book Art Submissions” post here on the forum and give you guys the email address to send the files to.

Hello all,

I too am a furry artist. Ok, I’m mostly a furry pron artist but whatever lol. Anyway, if you are needing some more arts I may be able to help out. Let me know.

Of course I’m actually a Washington Furre but it’s Vancouver so close enough right?

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/zavian/

~Zav

Zavian: Thank you for your interest! Art submissions are open so please feel free to read the list of requirements for submissions and content in the post here: http://forum.campfiretails.org/2010-general-discussion/con-book-art-submissions/

If you feel you have any work that would fit into these categories then please feel free to submit them. There is no limit on submissions. Make sure to get the right format for your submission(s) which you can find outlined in the post lined above. If you have any issues submitting your art or any questions please feel free to email me at Tiggress[at]campfiretails[dot]org.

-Tiggress