Apocalypse Survival Games and Tools

The wasteland is unforgiving. If you want to survive you better be prepared with the right tools, and sharp skills (or maybe that’s the right skills and sharp tools…I can never remember). I can’t promise what I have to teach will keep you alive, but who knows, it might tip the odds in your favor.

Pop Can Alcohol Jet Stove Workshop:
These small, lightweight stoves run on denatured alcohol, although they will also light up with high proof liquor and other volatile compounds you might scavenge (at your own risk!). There are no moving parts or tiny valves to clog up, and they are silent, a must if hiding from Zeds or bandits. If you are forced to move camp in a hurry and leave it behind it is no big deal. All it takes is two pop cans, rudimentary tools, and a bit of time. I will be providing cans, expertise, and tools to make the build process go more smoothly. Participants will get to keep the stove they make. Great for backpacking!

Orienteering Course:
Good luck finding batteries for your GPS when the end times hit. A quick workshop on map and compass use, followed by kicking everyone out on a cross-country (or at least cross-campground) adventure to use their newly acquired skills. This is a competitive event! Compasses and necessary tools will be available for loan. Feel free to bring your favorite analog compass.

Please sound off if you are interested in either of the above workshops so I can adequately prepare. The more interest there is, the more effort I am likely to put into the workshops. If these apocalyptic sessions prove popular I could throw in some bonus content: Knotting (with rope!).

ADDENDUM: Super top-secret project is complete. Oh yes; there will be fun.

I am curious about how you will be making Orienteering into a competitive event! If I get the right time to spare at camp, I’ll definitely check these out :3

Almost all forms of orienteering involve “control points,” or the objectives you are trying to navigate to. There are several ways to do it. A full-sized orienteering event that sometimes cover dozens of miles in a day is usually a time trial, successfully hitting each control point along the way. “Rogaining” has a greater element of strategy to it with control points having different point values based on difficulty. A team will plan their route (try to get lots of easy ones, or go for a few high value ones?) before navigating. I’m not sure why it’s called rogaining, maybe it has to do with “combing” the land. I’m going to end up winging it a bit since I won’t know the exact layout of the course in advance, but the scores will almost certainly be awarded on a basis of both time and accuracy. It may be a multiple stage course where speed is awarded in one stage, and accuracy in another. What I do know is that it should be fun for all involved.

YES!!! Do this with a muchness!!! :smiley: :smiley:

My super top-secret (until now!) project has been completed. It starts out at 3 feet, but gets bigger and harder the more you play with it. You might find something like it looming on the skyline of an abandoned city, but you will definitely find it at Campfire Tails: Outpost 27.

Can’t figure out what it is? Come join in the Apocalypse Games to find out! Bring a friend. It’s more fun with a group of 3-5.

I actually bought a compass for the orienteering course. :3

[quote=“Morse, post:5, topic:577”]My super top-secret (until now!) project has been completed. It starts out at 3 feet, but gets bigger and harder the more you play with it. You might find something like it looming on the skyline of an abandoned city, but you will definitely find it at Campfire Tails: Outpost 27.

Can’t figure out what it is? Come join in the Apocalypse Games to find out! Bring a friend. It’s more fun with a group of 3-5.[/quote]

please be a zeppelin…please be a zeppelin…

Not a zeppelin, although I am working on my pilot license (also not for zeppelins, but still fun).

Sparky and Dru:

I’m glad to hear people are excited about it. I’ve been planning and piecing supplies together so it should be good.

Definitely scheduling these events! I can’t wait to participate in your Orienteering Competition!

Putting you down on the schedule for Pop-Can Workshop Friday after breakfast, and Orienteering Saturday after breakfast. Sound good? :3

Sounds good. I like having a day to scout out and set up the orienteering course.

Definitely interested in this.